that [subject] just came to mind and now i want to paint something called just that: good and bad under a happy umbrella.
this year has started all chaos and thorns. it’s not entirely proper or professional to share, but i’m not always proper or professional, so there. plus, i felt i needed an “excuse” for my silence and such.
- my grandma passed away, which i already shared
- our family got screwed over for a couple thousand dollars we couldn’t afford to lose
- my computer crashed and i lost all software/operating system (it took a whole day and a half just to retrieve passwords for email accounts, my blog, facebook, twitter, paypal, website ftp accounts, etc.)
- i had to buy a new computer (is being built as i type — i should receive it by the end of the week, woots! it’s going to be a beast!)
- lost my $1800 adobe suite software and had to buy a new copy today (goodbye savings account — our brief acquaintance was too short-lived!)
- i have to start over on all of the layout/design of the altered bits zine which is going to delay things (if you missed the deadline, i will still consider your work since i can’t start working on it again for another week or so)
- i’m really poor now 😦 (i typed that with a giggle ’cause i don’t care so much about that other than the fact that it makes me nervous — today is good though — we get meat instead of rice for dinner)
- i have been working my arse (or fingers) off with new web client projects and am finishing my last two projects in the queue this week — fun times!
- i could actually afford new computer/software/etc. due to heaps of work and otherwise would not have been able to do any of it (thank you universe!!!)
- i finally received my copies of seth apter’s book and it ROCKS
- i’m a redundant back-up queen so lost no client files or photos or fonts or anything with the computer crash (phew!)
- i have the best son and husband in the world
- my in-laws rock and are taking both kids’ families on a cruise! (i can’t wait! we’re taking a train to seattle then cruising all over alaska and going to canada)
- i started 10 new assemblages, 3 new paintings and 6 new books last week
- i’ve been volunteering at the public school doing art with the special needs kids. the past three weeks we have been doing mixed media portraits. we finished today and they are all so fabulous! i so wish i could share, but i cannot due to confidentiality laws/rules/etc. i may sneak and share my son’s though. actually, i don’t have to sneak. it was so much fun!
- i have almost finished lisa’s book for the pulp redux collaboration
- i get to see my great friend kerin gale this week and we are starting a super fun art collaboration
- by the end of this week, my studio is going to look better than it ever has — i’ve spent about 30 hours organizing and cleaning and making piles of stuff for a yard sale. sometimes less is more, plus the $ is going to new siding for little bug studio. woohoooo! a definite easy sacrifice to make for the kiddos.
- we are trying to adopt a dog from a rescue and we may have the ability to get a service dog for the boy! i found him on pet finder the other day and applied. cross your fingers for us. we’re excited!
and the best of the best news is so great i cannot help but share even though i typically hate sharing ultra personal stuff in such a public fashion (it deserves a whole paragraph instead of a bullet). background: i was a single mama for four years, from my son’s birth until i married my husby. most people don’t realize this — they have such similar ear lobes and chins and knee-caps and body shapes that they appear to share dna… but they don’t. the husby was around since right after little man turned three, but we weren’t married until he was 4. anyway, just before the husby and i got married, he said he wanted to officially adopt my little bug and we paid heaps of money to an adoption attorney (who later stopped communicating with us, keeping our dollars, then claiming we never paid her — good thing i’m a receipt keeper!). i won’t go into that though because it’s pointless and negative and i’m happy and not easily sucked into other people’s poo. so, long story short — we hired a new attorney and in THREE WEEKS he did what the other attorney failed to accomplish in five years and now, my sweet little boy is the official, legit, true-life son of my beautiful husband. we just got the adoption certificate and will be receiving his new birth certificate listing my husband as his father any day now. how exciting is that! it makes me weep and giggle in unison — it’s like i just gave birth again but didn’t feel it, only better. we’re having a big celebratory party in honor of the completion of the adoption in a couple of weeks. wanna come? and if you need a referral to the best adoption attorney in oregon or washington, let me know ’cause i just so happen to know him.
so, there is way more good than bad. and most of the bad isn’t horrible anyway. just hugely annoying and expensive, hah. the only bad thing is the zine delay but this one was totally out of my control. the only files that somehow didn’t manage to get backed up was the design file i started. lovely, eh? it’s still going to rock though as i’ll just redo it. i was only about 20 hours into it anyway.
i hope your good is outweighing your bad too, or it’s all just good — that would be way better!