re-announcing, the altered bits print zine!
i’ve gotten lots of emails stating that i haven’t posted info about the zine on my blog other than the themes so yeps, i’m a huge jackass. apparently i’ve just spewed off a bunch of empty promises to post about it… so now i’m officially pulling my head out and posting the info for those who are new to my zine or wish to get additional information.
after going through the suggestion and voting process, we came up with four themes for issue two of the altered bits zine. the themes are as follows:
cabinet of curiosities ( i’m actually working on a piece for this category today.)
tattered and torn (i’ve gotten the most submissions for this category so far.)
an artful retelling of history (this was my choice, so of course i’m quite excited — love the merging of art and history!)
handmade & altered books and pages (this is a super fun one too!)
feel free to interpret each of these categories as you please and use your imagination. EACH ARTIST CAN SUBMIT UP TO THREE PIECES.
here is a peek at some of the submissions so far. i’ve muted the color a bit so i don’t give everything away. i promise you’ll still want to see the zine in the real. it’s going to be gorgeous!!
the deadline for submissions 21 December, 2011. i have had to extend this a bit due to all of the recent chaos in my life… so hopefully this will work for everyone. if you need an extension, please let me know and i may be able to work something out, though i cannot make any promises just yet.
what you must submit to be eligible for inclusion:
- send high resolution photos of your art piece (or photography), at least 300 dpi, no smaller than 6 inches on the shortest edge (at 300 dpi, 6″ = 1800 pixels). please attach to email rather than inserting into body (some email programs shrink files when you do that).
- indicate which category you are submitting each piece to so i don’t put it in the wrong place.
- PLEASE don’t send small photos. use name files like this so i’m not confused: lastname_firstname-artpiecename.jpg (you can send jpgs, pngs, tiffs — no gifs or bitmaps — those don’t work for print).
- a short bio in odt, txt, rtf, doc or pdf format. please DO NOT SEND DOCX files — i can’t open them and don’t want to buy ms word.
- the url to your website or blog
- optional: a short write-up about your piece and/or your inspiration (these will be space permitting)
what you need to keep in mind:
- kind of a no-brainer but i’ll say it anyway just in case: do not submit anything with copyright restrictions. for example, don’t use egon schiele’s “standing nude young girl” in a collage or whatnot — i don’t publish copyrighted content as that could ruin it for all of the responsible participants.
- please ensure all of your images are royalty free or have commons licenses. there are great places to get images like that (flickr commons, wikipedia commons, etc.).
when it will be published:
i will be working on layout and design over the winter holidays and the start of the new year. i’m shooting to have this published and ready to order by late february or march. i’ll keep you posted though — if you sign up for notifications on my blog, you’ll be insta-enlightened when i post about it.
if you are interested in submitting an article or tutorial, let me know — i’ve never included one before but think it could possibly be fun to have one in each issue here on out. if you are interested in advertising in the zine, go to my website to find the rates and info that i will be soon posting: http://alteredbits.com/artzine.php (or email me)
send everything to hi [at] altered bits [dot] com.
thank you so much, friends and fellow artists. if you haven’t submitted yet and you plan to, i cannot wait to see!!!